Monday, November 5, 2007

Houston, Do We Have A Problem?

I'm a painfully shy person when it comes to meeting new people. Unfortunately, that's going to cause all sorts of problems for me. I have only very few friends, all of whom are the best sort of friends anyone in this world could hope for, but nonetheless, very few in number. Just as a yardstick, I have about 20 or so people listed as friends on my Facebook account. Everyone else has at least 60. For most people, this scenario generally would be no cause for concern. After all, how many times have we heard stories of people who are surrounded by an entourage yet still feel achingly lonely? Quality over quantity, as the old adage goes. So from this perspective, I'm doing pretty well.

But the problem for me is that I'm a gay boy amidst a hoard of straighties. I don't feel ostracised or anything like that. I love my friends and, as far as I can tell, my friends love me too. But I can't help but feel none of my friends understand what it means to be a twisty. Of course, they don't think of me as gay so they don't behave as if there is this underlying factor that separates us. But it's hard for them to understand what it's like underneath to know you're different, that the world sees you a certain way. Maybe that's just me focusing on the differences but it's human nature to want to be among people that are like ourselves and be understood. I guess I feel a little out of place sometimes. But a greater concern is that I'll never have the opportunity to find true love if I dont venture out of my circle of (straight) comfort.

About three months ago, with loneliness in the heart and the computer at hand, I decided to sign up for one those personals sites, Gay Matchmaker. Skip three months to the present and nothing much has changed. I put myself out there but I'm still within my circle of comfort. I have not yet managed to make a single gay friend. I've gotten plenty of winks though (I'm hot apparently) but generally not from people who are looking for the same things I am. Sure, I chat to a few guys here and there but our intentions don't seem to coincide. I think I made my intentions pretty clear on my profile. I explicitly stated that I'm looking for people I can get along with on a purely platonic level and if things progress, then great. If not, then we've both gained another friend. So I assume that any wink was sent with the intention of making new friends too. Even with my clearly defined criteria, some ineligible people still apply, perhaps just to try their luck. I guess I should be flattered.

In any case, apart from being painfully shy, I have another factor working against me: I don't understand gay etiquette very well. You can't live a life surrounded by straighties and simultaneously be a social butterfly in the gay world. So I might've made a grievous mistake.

I've been talking to this guy. He winked at me once a long time ago but I rejected him because it looked to me like he just wanted to 'hook-up'. But we somehow got to swapping msn details and began chatting. As he and I chatted, I found him immediately engaging. He seems funny and friendly and complex. When I talk to him, it feels like talking to a real friend, as opposed to an online friend. And I find him endearing. He's like a nice guy who has a few underlying issues, which doesn't bother me. Who doesn't have issues? I once told him he has sad eyes and that seemed to have sent him through the roof. I didn't understand why. I thought his sad eyes looked nice. The point is, he seemed very human.

I thought to myself, "Hey, this is a really great guy that you could probably just hang out with, go to clubs with and explore the gay world with." In other words, a decent guy to be friends with. So I took what would seem like a small step to most but a giant leap to me: I gave him my phone number, not to 'hook up' or with the intention of a relationship or anything heavy like that, but just to talk or sms and see what happens from there. After all, there's only a certain distance online chatting can take you and my objective was to get to know real people, not digital words on a screen.

I don't really know what's going to happen from here. I've seen him online twice since but he didn't send me any messages on both occasions. And I'm a little ambivalent about sending him one. Maybe he thinks I came on too strong and is now running the other direction. Have I violated some rule in the book of gay etiquette? He knows I write this blog but he might not read it if giving him my number has caused problems. In any case, if he doesn't talk to me the next time I'm online, I guess I'm going to have to take another giant leap and be the one to initiate the dialogue.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Man... are you sure you're not me?? We are on the same wavelength!!

Great post by the way and great blog!! Thanks for the add (I'm The Melburnian).

Im shy too when it comes to meeting new men (although it could be self esteem). Wanna add me to Facebook and perhaps even MSN? Let's get you a group of gays you can hang around too... :)