Monday, November 19, 2007

Doppelganger

I think I'm pretty in tune with who I am. In fact, I think most people would say that they're pretty self-aware. After all, you grew up with yourself, experienced everything in your life with yourself and carefully measured and monitored your reaction to every stimuli life threw in your direction. So there is no one who knows you better than you. Now I'm not so arrogant that I won't accept some observations other people might have about me. But sometimes you get people who like to point out things about you that you feel is completely contrary to who you are and then say, "I think I know you better than you do." To me, that has to be one of my top 10 most irritating things anyone could say. But of course no one can ever claim to know everything about anything, including themselves. Nonetheless, each time a self-discovery is made, you can't help but be a little shocked.

Last night, I started chatting to this guy on msn. I had no idea who he was but apparently he's been on my contact list for a month now. We were talking about nothing in particular, just things like past relationships. Turns out he's bisexual. I don't understand bisexuality so I was interested and asked him questions about it. It was a pretty enlightening conversation. But eventually the topic turned to sex. I probably did meet him on a personals site after all. And most of the time, these guys are about sex. Usually, if a guy goes a bit blue on me, I just shut down and tell him I'm not interested in hooking up.

But it wasn't as if he was asking me to hook up with him or anything sleazy like that. We spoke about it as a discussion. I might not be into hooking up but I'm interested in how the whole process works. So he was telling me about how he chats to guys a few times and sees how it turns out. If they get along, then they meet up and take things from there. I never knew that that was how it works. I thought people talk and if there is mutual physical attraction, they meet up and get down to business. But it seems that the reality of hooking up is more like finding someone you can talk to and get along with as a friend with whom you just happen to have sex with. So maybe hooking up isn't the dirty, back-alley affair I envisioned it to be.

He felt he got along with me pretty well so he asked me about the prospect of meeting up with him. But instead of recoiling in horror, I found myself responding to his light innuendo with flirty and open quips. It was like I'd become this completely different person. I'm normally shy and reserved but here I was being witty and extroverted. The strange thing was I didn't even notice I'd taken on this strangely out-going persona until he said, "You don't seem shy to me." Maybe it was the rhythm of the conversation, my curiosity in the sexual habits of other people and the fact that it was an anonymous, online conversation but it was like I was possessed, like a second, darker and personality took over; a shadow slowly seeping in to insinuate its presence. I even thought this could be a possible sexual arrangement; a thought that is completely out of character for me.

Here was a stranger who knew nothing about me, whose approval or disapproval of me is completely inconsequential. Perhaps when there's nothing at stake and no limitations placed upon you, you are free to choose to be whoever you want to be. It seems we never really know the full extent of our capacities until we are put in an unfamiliar situation and certain traits and characteristics emerge to deal with the it. So the question for me is: was I acting when I flirted back or was that really part of who I am underneath all the shyness? I think I know the answer to that.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

Man... Im still trying to navigate my way...
It's a thick, scary and uncertain jungle out there.

Maybe Im saying that coz I think I dont click with anyone who I fancy?? Hmmm...